Wednesday, March 21, 2012

A Whole Lotta Cuttin' Goin' On!





I got most of Cameron's quilt cut out today. Even made the (34) 9-patches! I have a long way to go but I have to get all these 2 1/2" squares marked on the diagonal before I can go any further. All 350+ of them! Maybe I'll get to work on it tomorrow if I can ignore the quilt top on my design board.

I made a cutting mistake, of course. Three of the 10 1/2" blocks are pieced. Yuck! Maybe I could buy more fabric but it seems vain. The kit was a clearance item so the fabric may not even be available. It bothers me a wee bit but I will get over it. I'll just sew them into the quilt and call them my humility blocks!

Did you pick out fabric or put the border on the row quilt by any chance?

Vanessa

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That's alot of cutting! I'm impressed. There is nothing wrong with pieced mistakes in a quilt. That's why they call it patchwork. Cam will never know. Bummer to have to mark all of those squares! Wish there was an easier and more accurate way to do that. Look forward to seeing the progression of this quilt.

    No I did not pick out a fabric for the border. Certain members of my family think I should piece the border to look like a road. You know, black or grey with a broken white line down the center. They even figured out how to do it. Measurements and all. AND I love the idea but don't know if I want to do that much work. The quilt deserves it but the receiver may not. AND I'm not sure if it will be too much black/grey around the outside. Too over powering.

    So I'm at a stand still for now.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That quilt will be just fine with mistakes in it!! LOL

    I, too, love the idea of a pieced border! And I also agree with your reason why it may not be the right thing for this quilt. I would not do it because of the same reasons you stated. A solid border is fine. You could always do a "roadway" by having a single yellow line (thin middle border, say 1/2") between 2 same size, gray borders about 3". Still looks like a road, only solid and less busy. Whatever you do, it will be fine as the center is a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! We really appreciate it!