Thursday, January 28, 2010

This is what I worked on today. Some old log cabin blocks I started a long time ago. I have 30 blocks. The blocks measure 6 inches finished. They don't look like regular log cabin blocks because I didn't follow the usual light and dark diagonal design. Which now presents a problem, sort of. I think I want to put sashing because the blocks are small and I want to make at least a lap size out of this. And I will also put some borders on it. I'm thinking of using the left over strips and making a pieced border. Not sure what yet but that will come later. Now I need to decide a color for the sashing. The blocks are very busy and the centers are all the same red fabric. I'm not sure what color would pull all of this together and I know that it is hard to decide with a picture instead of in person but HELP! What would you think? What color would you use? I'm thinking of making the sashing 2 or 2-1/2 inches wide and maybe using the same fabric as the sashing to place my border blocks in as if they were floating in this fabric.

I may make some four patch blocks or piano key or sawtooth. I'm not sure yet but I want to use up all the extra strips.


Here are two close ups of the blocks so you could get a better idea of the fabrics I used. They are very bright and scrappy and busy. I don't think a beige or tan color would look good. It would have to be a bright like the rest of the fabrics just not a busy one. Maybe even a solid or something that comes off as a solid. What do you think?


I'm glad to be done with these blocks. They have been hanging around at least 5 years or more. When I started them I had someone in mind for the quilt and this person is an adult. I still would like to give it to them but it has to be at least lap size.
Til we meet again,
Terry

1 comment:

Thanks for commenting! We really appreciate it!